5 Tips to hire a lawyer
If you are looking for someone to fix your plumbing, will you hire a cook to do it? Probably not! Similarly, how will you know if you are hiring the right lawyer for your specific legal problem or issue?
Steve Jobs said: “Hiring the best is your most important task.” But if you have never had to contact a lawyer before, how will you know who is the best lawyer for you?
Herewith 5 top tips to help you find the right lawyer for you:
- Consider the nature of your legal issue. Choose a lawyer who indicates that he/she practices in the legal practice area which relates to your issue.
- Consider the professional category of your lawyer. Certain types of legal instructions, for instance, legal court matters, are reserved for certain types of lawyers.
- Consider the seniority and work experience of your lawyer. Senior lawyers generally have more experience in dealing with complex matters. Some junior lawyers work under the supervision of senior lawyers. Legal fees often depend on the seniority of the lawyer responsible and the complexity of the matter.
- Consider your lawyer’s fee structure and payment terms. Except when tariffs apply, lawyers are free to indicate the basis on which they charge clients. Some lawyers prefer to indicate an hourly rate and work on a time-billing basis. Other lawyers prefer to agree on the scope of instruction and fixed costs upfront. Many lawyers are negotiable on fees.
- Consider for which lawyers you pay deposits. Only Practising Attorneys and Trust Account Advocates are obliged to operate a Trust Account and hold a valid Fidelity Fund Certificate in terms of the Legal Practice 28 of 2014.
Before appointing a lawyer, do not hesitate to ask your lawyer questions on these aspects.
The Lawyers Working From Home™ website further helps you to find the right lawyer for you fast, by providing the following:
- An online search facility of lawyers serving on our platform. Lawyers listed on our lawyer directory are verified and approved, as lawyers publish their own information. The search facility can help you locate different types of lawyers, in specific provinces, who specialise in different legal practice areas. The link to the search facility is as follows: https://lawyersworkingfromhome.co.za/search-lawyer/
- A link to connect with multiple lawyers regarding your query and/or request for cost estimates is located at this link: https://lawyersworkingfromhome.co.za/connect-with-a-lawyer/
- Each individual lawyer profile published on our website further gives helpful information about a lawyer’s qualifications, legal practice, work experience, achievements, pricing, deposit policies (if any), special legal services, contact details and legal practice areas. Many individual law firms do not operate websites on which this information is available for review.
If you need further tips on how to search or find a lawyer for your matter, or if our platform does not currently reflect a lawyer to meet your criteria, you are welcome to contact Emmie de Kock, the Manager of Lawyers Working From Home™ on email: [email protected] or on WhatsApp: 067 426 7141